Caring for the aged and ageing is a major focus of the Lutheran Church of Australia (LCA). There are 35 Lutheran aged-care services in New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Victoria and New Zealand, which together care and provide pastoral support for approximately 4000 residents in either residential care or independent living units.
Our aged care services (depending on location) include:
- Community care
- Veterans Home Care Program (VHC)
- Community Aged Care Packages (CACP)
- Extended Aged Care at Home (EACH)
- Independent living unit (or self-care units)
- Low care (or hostel care)
- High care (or nursing home care)
- Palliative care
- Transition care
- Dementia care
- Respite care service.
Undergirding our care for the elderly is our strong Lutheran understanding of God's loving action in the world, which has been articulated in the booklets:
- Theology of Ageing
- Pastoral Care of the Aged
- Ministry to Older Persons: A Lutheran Perspective.
Details of the services at each facility can be obtained by contacting them directly: Find an Aged Care Service
Committee for Ministry with the Ageing
The Committee for Ministry with the Ageing (CMA) – formerly Board for Lutheran Aged Care Australia - serves the Lutheran Church of Australia (LCA) for the purpose of promoting the objectives of the Church in Christian care to the aged. CMA provides advice and guidance to develop and coordinate the ministry to the ageing. More information about CMA.
Chair: Rev Gordon Wegener
At its national conference in May 2012, a Scholarship Scheme for all pastoral carers working in Lutheran aged-care facilities. It is for those people already ministering in this specialised area of pastoral care, those wishing to enter it and those wanting to undertake research or create innovative resources. The brochure provides information about eligibility and application process. Download Scholarship Scheme brochure here.
- Read website stories about Aged Care
You'll find many helpful resources on our Aged Care Resources page, including:
- Ministry with Seniors, a valuable resource for anyone caring for seniors
- Guidelines for Building a Retirement Village
- Conference papers