- Aged Care Resources
- Australian Church Resources
- Doctrinal Statements & Theological Opinions
- Finance & Administration
- LCA Foundational Documents
- LCA Logo
- Lay Ministry
- Information & Communication Technology
- Child, Youth & Families
- Adoption of Title 'Bishop'
- LCA Stationery
- LCA Song
- LCA Notice Board
- LCA Transfer Fund
- Study Guides
- Copyright Guidelines
- Royal Commission: Child Sexual Abuse
- Social and Bioethical Questions
Royal Commission: Child Sexual Abuse
The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse will inquire into how institutions with a responsibility to children have managed and responded to allegations and instances of child sexual abuse. It will investigate where systems have failed to protect children and make recommendations on how to improve laws, policies and practices to prevent and better respond to the child abuse in institutions.
The six Commissioners will conduct both public and private hearings taking evidence from victims of child sexual abuse which occurred in institutions including child-care, religious, cultural, sporting and other institutions. They will focus on institutional sexual abuse and not on matters where sexual abuse occurred within families.
Although the Royal Commission does not have power to prosecute, it may refer cases to relevant authorities as it deems appropriate.
The Commissioners delivered their interim report in June 2014, and they are expected to hand over the final report by 31 December 2015.
The LCA Working Group has been formed to coordinate the LCA's engagement with the Royal Commission. The working group has prepared the following information pack for the benefit of people within the LCA, especially those in responsible positions. It aims to address some basic questions and issues that you need to know about.
LCA News Stories
- Be prepared for changes: LCA Royal Commission team (19 May 2015)
- LCA receives Royal Commission subpoena (6 October 2014)
- Royal Commission: sigh of relief and sigh of sadness (23 April 2014)
- LCA leaders prepare for Royal Commission (4 March 2013)
- LCA welcomes Royal Commission (8 January 2013)
From time to time, the Royal Commission invites submissions on various issues. The LCA Working Group has chosen to respond to the following:
- Issues Paper 1: Working with Children Check
- Issues Paper 3: Child-Safe Institutions
- Issues Paper 4: Out of Home Care for Children
- Issues Paper 6: Redress Schemes
- Issues Paper 7: Victims of Crime Compensation Scheme
- Issues Paper 9: Addressing the Risk of Child Sexual Abuse in Primary and Secondary Schools
- Consultation Paper: Redress and Civil Litigation (March 2015)
Royal Commission's Interim Report
- LCA Working Group Summary of Royal Commission's Interim Report Volume 1
- Royal Commission Interim Report Volumes 1 and 2
More information: www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au